I have been experiencing a problem with spam messages. It would be good to have a way to report spam like one does in with emails, so Folksy could do something about it (deactivating accounts if found to be spam). At moment I can't do anything except ignore them. The messages always enquire about the items availability, excepting paypal, final asking price and requesting that I respond to a private email address.
If you receive any spam emails via Folksy, please forward the email to email@example.com so that we can investigate.
Check the IP address of this person sending mail I am sure it is in Nigeria. 18.104.22.168
Danielle Mansell commented
We too have received this email from geniusideamaker.
Linda Robson commented
Just received this message via folksy.
Message from geniusideamaker on 17 April 2013 23:57
Subject: Sorry to bother you with this
Do you have an etsy shop?
Do you wanna know who and what on etsy is working right now? The thing is I know what and who is.
I have a raw data list of those people, I'm selling it for 50 dollars.
Let me explain a little bit more about it. What I'm offering are two excel sheets I scraped for my friend.
The thing about etsy is that google funnels a lot of traffic to them, so knowing the spots where google is funneling
the most traffic is tantamount to knowing where money grows on trees. Know what I mean? Instead of having to advertise
the traffic just comes to you.. and hard. So if you wanna know more and get a copy of the list email me back and
I'll send you my site where you can pick up a copy. Or you can visit http://etsykeywordhelper.com/folksy.php
If this is not something you want, sorry to have bothered you. Have a nice day.
Clare Freemantle commented
I've just had the exact same message but from Dorothyparker004. Reported it as spam but clearly they're using different user names with the same message.
Jan Merrwyeather commented
I have been contacted by Philip James in the last week. After a couple of emails they have now stopped as I told him I am not a money agent & am not looking for a Western union office for him! the emails have stopped! I do not know his username so cant report it as the Folksy message below but this is the email mentioned below so avoid like the plague!!
My first customer is dodgy mr phillipsjames
he has emailed twice - the first time I simply told him the price and details are as already stated on my shop and the second I ignored him. Hope Folksy can stop him he is currently phillipsjames760
I've just had an email from this firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Hello, You have received a personal message on Folksy:
Am Philips James,I came across your item on Folksy, i will like to buy the item,is it ready for the immediate purchase, before i proceed with the payment i will Like to ask about the item…
1) Is the item still available for sale?
2) What is the present condition of the item?
3) Do you accept PAYPAL as your mode of payment?
4) what is the final asking price?
Kindly get back to me with your reply to my private email :
hope to read from you soon.
I responded and got this message: ( I stupidly responded with collection retails BUT said the item could not be collected after we had received CLEARED FUNDS. Gosh!
2. Thanks for the respond,i am an oceanographer and am currently on the sea at the moment, i am buying the item as a gift for my sister,i want to make it a surprise gift for her, she won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to her so i want you to reassure me that the item is in good condition as you have described.i can only pay through PayPal.So please kindly get back to me immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the Item up immediately after payment,so you don't have to bother your self about shipping,all I will need from you now is your PayPal email,phone number and the address where pick up is going to take place with the final asking price, so I can book shipping with my agent before making the payment for you.
I look forward to hear from you soon
I also recieved a message from a man working as an oceanographer wanting to buy chairs from me as a present for his mother, it was very convincing. He also wanted to email privatly and talked about not being able to transfer money through western union money transfer, for me to wire it over from him,.. being new to folksy I almost fell for it!! Watch out people his email address is email@example.com
AdminFolksy (Folksy Support, Folksy) commented
I have recieved a message purporting to be a buyer based at sea requesting my paypal account address for payment claiming that they will arrange collection. I believe this is probably a scam of some kind