This page is to help you navigate around Paypal and start an account so you can sell on Folksy. Many of you will be familiar with Paypal and may already have an account. It’s still worthwhile checking that your Paypal account is set up properly for Postage and PayPal Account Optional (see bottom of page).
What kind of PayPal account do I need?
In order to be able to sell on Folksy, you will require PayPal Premier or Business account so that you are able to accept payments. PayPal are now phasing out the old Premier account and so if you are setting up a new account, please choose 'Business'.
I have an existing PayPal account, will this be okay to use?
To check which kind of Paypal account you have, or to upgrade, please log into PayPal and click on Profile > My Account Settings. If you have a Premier or Business account, or if you are already able to send invoices using your PayPal account, you don't need to upgrade and you should be able to receive payments from your buyers on Folksy. If you have a Personal account, you will usually need to upgrade to a Business account.
Setting up a new Paypal account
1. Go to the Paypal Business homepage and click ‘Get started’
3. Enter your email address on the 'sign up for a Business Account' page and click continue
4. Enter your business information and click 'Agree and continue'
5. Select your business type (usually individual or sole trader), a product or service keyword and your website URL (optional - you can change this later and use your Folksy URL if you wish) and continue
5. Enter your nationality, Date of Birth and address, and continue
6. On the 'Payment setup' page, scroll down and click 'add to setup' against the 'With Online Invoicing' option
6. Scroll back up and click on 'Continue' against the 'Process all payments, including debit and credit cards, through PayPal' option
7. Click on the 'Account set-up' tab and select the options to verify your email address and link your bank account. You will then be taken to a page telling you that 2 small amounts will be deposited in your bank account, this is so Paypal can confirm that this is a genuine bank account, this will Verify your account to buyers. You will have to wait 3-5 days to complete this verification.
In the meantime you will be taken to your account page, note the account type under the ‘Welcome’ heading, it should say ‘Business account’, it will also say ‘Status: Unverified’
You will also be sent an email to ask you to activate your PayPal account.
Firstly, you need to increase your account limits. For more information on this, see the help section. You need to be logged in to see this page.
Once the two small amounts have been deposited in your account you can complete the verification procedure. to do this you must login to your Paypal account and either click ‘Get Verified’ next to your Verification status notice or ‘Complete Bank Setup’ in the ‘To Do’ section to the right hand side of your accounts page.
You then follow the on screen instructions to fill in the amounts that have been paid into your account and your account status will change to ‘Verified’.
1. Log in to your PayPal account. This will take you to your Account page. If not, click on My Account (or the head icon) in the top navigation bar
2. Click on Profile (or 'Profile and Settings' from the head icon)
3. Click on ‘Selling Preferences’ (left hand side of screen), and then click on ‘Update’ alongside ‘Postage Calculations’. This will take you to your Postal Calculations settings page.
4. At the bottom of the page it says:
“Miscellaneous – Allow transaction-based delivery settings to override profile settings (Optional)”
You need to check this box, so that PayPal will not interfere with the postage settings stipulated by the service you’re using (Folksy).
Make sure you save your changes when you're finished.
View this article for a walkthrough with screenshots:
PayPal Account Optional / Allowing buyers to check out without a Paypal account(RECOMMENDED)
To allow your buyers to checkout as a guest on PayPal (so that they can use a credit or debit card without logging into PayPal), you must enable this setting:
1. Log in to your PayPal account, this will take you to your Account Summary page.
2. Click on 'Profile' and select 'Profile and Settings' from the dropdown menu
3. Click on 'My Selling preferences' (left hand side of screen)
4. Scroll down to ‘Website preferences’ (under the 'Selling Online' heading) and click on the 'Update' link alongside it
5. Scroll down the page and find ‘Paypal account optional’ and make sure this is set to ON
6. Click 'Save'.
That’s it, you’re done, and ready to begin selling your items on Folksy!